from – http://simplegreensmoothies.com/natural-healing/lemon-ginger-and-honey-all-natural-coldflu-remedy
Lemon: High in vitamin C, which is an antioxidant vital to a strong immune system and neutralize the activity of free radicals in the body, reducing the inflammation and swelling caused by free radicals in the body.
Ginger: Promotes a healthy sweating that aids in the detoxification of the body, which is often helpful when you have a cold or flu. Ginger is also helpful for settling upset stomachs, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and cold sweating.
Honey: Soothes a sore throats, making it an effective and natural cough suppressant. Honey may also boost the body’s immune system by aiding in the production of white blood cells. This improves the body’s ability to fight infection and decreases the risk of fevers. The natural sweetness of honey also balances the tartness of the lemon and the ginger’s spice, giving honey, lemon and ginger tea its soothing flavor.
LEMON, GINGER AND HONEY IN A JAR
You can make this immunity boosting, body soothing concoction ahead of time and store in the fridge. Keeps for months when refrigerated.
- 2 lemons (thoroughly cleaned)
- 2 piece of fresh ginger (about the size of your pointer and middle finger)
- Raw honey
- 12 oz mason jar
1. Slice lemons and ginger.
2. Place the lemon and ginger slices in the mason jar, alternativing layers of each.
3. Slowly, pour honey over the lemon and ginger. Allow the honey to sink down and around the lemon and ginger slices. Fill jar to the top with honey and seal tightly.
4. Store in the refridgerator. Over time, the mixture will start yo turn into a loose jelly.
5. When you are in need of some soothing tea, scoop 2-3 tablespoons into a mug full of hot water. Allow to seep for 3-4 minutes and sip away.